Carrying the theme, “25 Years of Partnerships for Healthy Oceans, People and Economies: Moving as One with the Global Ocean Agenda”, the EAS Congress 2018 is open to a broad range of stakeholders including National and Local Governments, the United Nations system, intergovernmental organizations, bilateral and multi-lateral projects, international financial institutions, non-governmental organizations, civil society organizations, academic institutions, the scientific community, the private sector, and other stakeholders.
The EAS Congress 2018 aims to involve all relevant stakeholders to:
- Map and align the implementation of the Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA) and other sub-regional and regional strategies and action plans with the SDG 14 targets
- Share experiences and assess challenges and opportunities relating to the implementation of the SDS-SEA at the regional, national and local levels including innovative policies and technologies, good management practices, and investment opportunities
- Build on existing partnerships and achievements and promote new initiatives, investments and partnerships to accelerate the achievement of national, regional and global targets for sustainable development of oceans and coasts
- Track blue economy development and growth across the region with the launching of national, sub-regional and regional State of Oceans and Coasts Reports
- Contribute to the planning and development of an ocean investment facility to leverage increased public and private sector investments in ocean-based blue economy development and growth